Accessibility Standards for Customer Service
Governing The Provision of Goods and Services to People with Disabilities
Our organization is committed to excellence in serving all customers including persons with disabilities. We will provide goods and/or services to persons with disabilities in a manner that respects their dignity and independence.
- We will ensure that our staff is trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by customers with disabilities while obtaining or accessing our goods or services.
- We will communicate with persons with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
- We welcome persons with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on our premises or the parts therof that are open to the public, except where prohibited by law. Where a service animal is so excluded, we will provide alternative measures to enable the person with disabilities to obtain, use or benefit from the goods and/or services we provide.
- A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises or parts thereof that are open to the public. In the event that we intend to charge an admission fee for entry onto our premises or parts thereof, we will provide advance notice if an admission fee is to be applicable to support persons.
Notice of Temporary Disruption
- In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities, we will notify customers promptly. This clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available. The notice will be placed at a conspicuous place on our premises and/or on our website.
Training for Staff
We will provide training to employees, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on our behalf. We will also provide training to personel involved in developing our policies, practices and procedures governing the provision of goods or services to members of the public or other third parties. This training will be provided to such staff as soon as practical after they assume these duties and when changes are made to our accessibility policies, practices and procedures. The training will include a review of these Policies, Practices and Procedures and in addition:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard;
- Instruction on how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities;
- Instruction on how to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person;
- Instruction on how to use equipment or devices availabel on-site or otherwise that may help with providing goods or services to people with disabilites; and
- Instruction on what to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing our goods and services.
We will provide notice, including contact information whereby customers who wish to provide feedback on the way we provide goods and services to people with disabilities can do so. We will establish a process whereby any such feedback is addressed.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org at any time to request information or call 1-888-833-8787 ext. 244
Modification to this or other policies
Any policy of ours that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
This Customer Service Accessability Plan is hereby adopted for and on behalf of the organization on January 1, 2013